I’m Catholic and here’s what I believe…
- In God/Jesus (makes sense right?)
- The separation of church and state (Not everyone is Christian!)
- I’m pro- choice. And by the by, being pro-choice doesn’t automatically mean I’m pro-abortion.
- I believe a woman should have the right to do what she wants with her body.
- Until a man can become pregnant, he really shouldn’t have much say in the birth control discussion.
- I believe women should have more prominent roles in my church.
- I’m straight, religious, and I support gay marriage because I support civil (HUMAN) rights. This should not be a religious issue.
- Any union of LGBT couples does not weaken my heterosexual relationships in any shape or form. If you believe it does, then your relationship wasn’t very sturdy to begin with, now was it?!
- While I would do everything in my power to not get a divorce, I believe that sometimes love doesn’t last and people should not be forced to stay in situations that make them unhappy.
- I don’t personally think the Bible should be taken literally because taking it literally means we understand it completely. But I would oh so enjoy meeting someone that thinks they understand it completely.
- Religious conviction is a personal choice, not to be flaunted or be made to alienate people. And it’s okay to NOT have one at all or be in conflict with my own.
No religion is perfect because at its core, it’s run by people. And people can be awful and misinterpret a great many things. But I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to be religious and have these thoughts.
And I’ll probably get it, but if anyone tries to tell me that any of the above beliefs makes me any less Catholic, I’ll just have to demand that you go back to your cave of ignorance. We’re taught to love everyone, right? Who am I to judge?!
This. Just pretty much all of this.